Saturday, January 3, 2015

In memory

Tomorrow is my gran's memorial, which through the tears shed, will be a beautiful and celebratory one. To recognise a woman who loved life yet knew when it was her time to leave, who encouraged us to use every minute of our time, who's spirit shone in areas of kindness, inventive ideas,
charity and love. 

Tears are no stranger tonight as I pause on each photograph, remembering her strength, her skills, her laugh, her crinkled eyes when she smiled, the smell of her biscuits, our grocery trips, her erratic driving, her refusal to use a calculator and so much more, so much more I wish I'd known about her. 

She was the glue, the focal point that kept us all together, it was around her dinning table that we gathered on Sundays for lunch after which a game of darts or scrabble began. I know that these days and years to come will bring so much happiness, vibrance, change and excitement and when I imagine them, I imagine my gran close enjoying every moment alongside me. 

Something my gran said over dinner one night struck me, it is something I shall bide by, "Never change who you are for anyone else."













No comments:

Post a Comment