Tuesday, December 31, 2013

My Future.

"My future"
Two little words that can often cause a mixture of feelings ranging from anxiety, excitement, trepidation etc.

My plan this time last year was to pack a suitcase, my self published vegan cookbook, my teddy bear and jet off to London to spend a year gaining experience. After landing a job as a waitress who occasionally chopped vegetables, I was ready to hang in my hat. However i wanted to prove my worth, not only to others, but to myself as well.  I spent my days researching and writing CVs and exploring different career fields and my nights lying in bed worrying about money for rent and food. I finally found my niche in the form of a vegan/vegetarian/raw restaurant, Wild Food Cafe in Neal's Yard, a quaint and colourful quad hidden from the bustling streets of Central London. Looking back on this year, I can honestly say that working there was one of the best experiences of my life. I met so many unique and intelligent people, from whom I learnt so much about all aspects of life and made great friends whom I hope I'll know for the rest of my life. I was able to progress over time as a waitress as well as work as a chef in the kitchen. I learnt how to interact with people better, think on my feet and fast, manage my time and deadlines, different cultures and how to look after myself. I was exposed to new music genres, artists and films. I went to the theater, the ballet, watched a soccer match (football as the English would say), went out on the town, saw the sights during the day as well as night, attended a Cacao Ceremony, learnt about London's history whilst taking a tour on the sight-seeing bus, traveled to Bath and spent the day floating around the Bath Spa, took a trip to Oxford to write my SATs, went to Rollerdisco dressed in 80s outfits, browsed through vintage shops and markets,met Tom Felton (Draco Malfoy in Harry Potter), Florence Welsh (of Florence and the Machine) and Lucy Liu and a whole lot more!

Today is the 31st of December and here I am in Cape Town, having only decided yesterday what I'd be doing for this coming year. Writing has always been a huge part of my life, whether it be for a blog, poems, stories or just in my diary, and I plan to pursue it in 2014. Talk about excitement!

No comments:

Post a Comment