Sunday, January 6, 2013

19.


Gone With The Wind

Yesterday I settled onto a plush couch with freshly-sliced mango and a copy of Gone With The Wind. Every time I watch this film (and I've watched it a lot), I can't help but smile as Rhett Butler takes over the screen. There is something in his ruggedly handsome face that attracts me and I can't help but allow myself a timid sigh of longing. It was made in 1939, long before colour was an aspect of film and before cinemascope. This fact only makes me more astounded and in awe of director Victor Fleming!

If you watch Scarlet's expressions closely throughout the film, you can see that she truly does love Rhett - which we all wish she'd just realise herself sooner than depicted.

Their romance is at the height of passion, Clark Gable and Vivien Leigh truly convey the relationship's fiery nature. This is one of the many reasons why I love classic films - after the kiss, the screen slowly fades and the rest takes place behind closed doors, leaving much more to the imagination than films of today.








No comments:

Post a Comment